Ride Leader Information
|Ride Level||Coordinator||Average Speed||Description|
|Gary Strebel||17.0 and up||See Ride Category descriptions at https://www.westchestercycleclub.org/RideCategories|
|Anil Malhotra||16.0 - 18.0|
|Richard Gluck||15.0 - 17.0|
|Ave Karel||13.0 - 15.0|
|Deborah Ramsey||11.0 - 14.0|
|Paula Edlavitch||9.0 - 11.0|
|Brian Juszcyk||up to 11.0||New Member/Orientation Rides|
|Laura Kelly||up to 11.0||Mountain Biking RIdes|
|Laura Kelly||10 - 12||Hard Pack/Gravel Rides|
Job Description--Ride Coordinators
The primary role of Ride Coordinators at all levels is to encourage ride leaders to post rides. Ride Coordinators should communicate regularly with Ride Leaders and the Rides Chair to promote safety, encourage riders to become Ride Leaders, and help new members feel welcome.
1. Encourage Ride Leaders to post rides. Ideally, during the “high season,” every level should have a ride posted on both Saturday and Sunday (weekday (Job Description--Ride Coordinators continues ...)
Ride leaders plan and lead rides. You can choose a ride to lead from the Cue Sheet or club RideWithGPS library or you can write your own. For more info, take a look at the Ride Leader checklist.
Forms and Information for Ride Leaders
- Guide to WCC Group Rides
- Ride Leader's Quick Reference Guide (Tri-fold)
- Ride Leader Guidelines
- SMART Pre-ride Safety Talk
- Minor Release Form (consent by parent or guardian for a minor to participate, submit with sign-in sheet)
- Accident Report Form (to be used to report accidents which occur on a club ride)
- Bicycling Street Smarts: Riding Confidently, Legally and Safely
- Ride Leader Summit Presentation (March 2019)
Ride CategoriesClick for a description of the Ride Categories (levels) from D to A.
Cue Sheets for Ride Leaders
Procedures for Rides
Ride leaders are responsible for bringing these essential forms to each ride they lead: Unless signing riders in digitally, bring paper copies of the Release Form (sign-in sheet). If minor are expected, bring the Minor Release Form. You can either print and bring with you the Accident Report Form or complete it digitally.
Ride leaders must ensure that every rider has read the release and waiver, and digitally signed them in, prior to the ride. Ride leaders can also submit hard copy sign-in sheets by downloading the pdf files (above) and printing them. Sign-in Sheets and Minor Release Forms should be submitted to signinsheets
In the event of an accident, ride leaders must complete and submit the Accident Report Form as soon as is possible. WCC keeps a record of the forms and submits them to our insurance company.
Become a Ride Leader
If you've been going on club rides for a while and are interested in becoming a Ride Leader, we welcome you! You must be certified by the Rides Chair to be able to post and lead rides. To get started, follow these steps, then apply here to become a Ride Leader.
To be eligible as a WCC Ride Leader, the rider has:
- Ridden on at least five WCC club rides
- Completed the ride leader training program (reviewed this document and carefully review ALL content on this page, including all linked content)
- Completed two co-leads with an experienced leader
Volunteer Appreciation Program
Members receive volunteer points as appreciation for volunteering.
- Volunteer points are awarded for a variety of volunteer activities, not just leading rides.
- Volunteer points are accrued when you sign up and show up for a volunteer activity using the "Volunteer" system on the WCC Website or sign up on the "Ride Schedule" to lead or co-lead a ride. It is critical that organizers of volunteer events create a volunteer page for each event, and it is critical for volunteers to sign up on this page. This is the way we're going to track who is awarded volunteer points (in addition to the Ride Schedule).
- Volunteer points are awarded in the following manner:
- WCC board participation: 20 pts.
- Committee membership to work on a large project such as the Golden Apple or Dirty Apple: 10 pts.
- Ride Lead: 5 pts.
- Ride Co-lead: 2 pts. (Co-leads must be designated on the Ride Schedule by leaders.)
- D Ride lead: 10 pts.
- One-day event volunteer: 5 pts. (This includes each session of the weekly Bike4Kids project.)
If you have accumulated volunteer points, you can redeem them on the WCC Website: Go to "Store," then "Shop" on "My WCC." Your volunteer points will automatically be deducted from any qualifying purchases, then you can pay any balance remaining via PayPal with a credit card.
If you don't have any volunteer points, you will not see the new club-branded Voler clothing in the WCC Store. Instead, order directly at https://www.voler.com/custom/ordering/li/28496.